Veteran Student Checklist– for Admission and Enrollment


Be sure to identify yourself as a Service Member/Veteran on your application; this will waive the application fee for all Undergraduate applicants.

If you have already paid the fee, please contact the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs at (502) 597-6795 and include your full name and KSU student ID number.

  1. Request Official copies of any Transcripts

Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have previously taken courses. (Note: Students with more than 24 prior civilian college credits are not required to submit their high school transcript.)

  1. Request your ACT or SAT scores

If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you may also have the option to take a placement test through coordination with the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs. Pending the availability of funds, this service is free for veteran and military students.

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits

You can apply for VA education benefits at website.

If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:

VA Regional Office Telephone: (888) 442-4551 Website:

Once received from the VA, submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs.

  1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)

We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your VA benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA.  The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online

  1. Request for Joint Service Transcript

To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to KSU electronically. Air Force veterans and service members should request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit.

KSU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know.  To learn more about exams accepted by KSU, contact the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs at (502) 597-6795.

  1. Submit your Course Enrollment Form

 After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.  

This form is required to certify you for your VA educational benefits.  Please note: You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, then neither you nor the school will receive funding.

If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.