Military Dependents (Spouses and Children) Student Checklist – for Admission and Enrollment


Be sure to identify yourself as a Military Dependent on your application.

  1. Request Official copies of any Transcripts

Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have taken courses.  High school transcripts are only required if you have completed less than 24 civilian college hours.

  1. Request your ACT or SAT scores

If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test.  Pending the availability of funds, this service is free for veteran and military students.

KSU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know.  To learn more about exams accepted by KSU, contact the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs.

  1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)

We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your Federal TA/VA education benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA.  The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits (If Applicable)

You can apply for VA education benefits at the website. If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:

VA Regional Office Telephone: (888) 442-4551 Website:

  1. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (Only if using VA Education Benefits)

After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.  

This form allows us to certify you for your VA educational benefits.  Please note the following:

    • You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, then neither you nor the school will receive funding.
    • If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.

If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.

  1. Apply for Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA) Waiver (If Applicable)

A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows and widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. More information regarding the KDVA Tuition Waiver can be found at