Reservist/National Guard Student Checklist – for Admission and Enrollment


Be sure to identify yourself as an Active Drilling Member of the Reserves or National Guard on your application; this will waive the application fee for all Undergraduate applicants.  If you have already paid the fee, please contact the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs at (502) 597-6795 and include your KSU student ID number.

  1. Request Official copies of any Transcripts

Request official copies of transcripts from your high school or any college where you have taken courses.  High school transcripts are only required if you have completed less than 24 civilian college hours.

  1. Request your ACT or SAT scores

If you haven't taken an ACT or SAT, you also have the option to take a placement test. Pending the availability of funds, this service is free for veteran and military students.

KSU also accepts credit by exam from DANTES and CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you know. To learn more about exams accepted by KSU, contact the Office of Veterans and Military Student Affairs.

  1. Request your Joint Service Transcript

To receive credit for your military service, you must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST). Visit the JST website, and request for your transcript to be sent to KSU electronically. Air Force veterans and service members should request their Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript to receive military credit.

  1. Request Federal or State Tuition Assistance

Army Reservists/National Guard on Federal Active Duty:

Army Reservists/National Guard requesting State Tuition Assistance (TA):

Note: Deadlines for requesting State TA are 1 October (Spring) and 1 April (Summer/Fall) 

For Reservists/Guard in other service branches or Air National Guard members, visit’s TA Overview for information in requesting TA.

  1. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)

We highly recommend you fill out your FASFA as soon as possible. Your Federal TA/VA education benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid, so we encourage you to go online now and fill out your FASFA.  The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants and/or loans.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits (If Applicable)

You can apply for VA education benefits at the website.

If you have questions about your VA education benefits or any other questions you may contact them at:

VA Regional Office Telephone: (888) 442-4551 Website:

  1. Submit your Course Enrollment Form (Only if using VA Education Benefits)

After you are advised and registered for classes, you must complete the Course Enrollment Form.  

This form allows us to certify you for your VA educational benefits.  Please note the following:

    • You must complete a Course Enrollment Form each semester after registering for classes. If you do not complete the Course Enrollment form, then neither you nor the school will receive funding.
    • If you change your major, you must complete a new Change of Program form (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.

If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Course Enrollment Form, you must submit a new Course Enrollment Form immediately.