Division of Family and Consumer Sciences
The Division of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) provides leading edge education and training that prepares students with highly marketable skills for leadership roles in professional FCS careers. There will be a growing need for persons prepared to address the numerous challenges and issues faced by individuals, families, and communities. A degree from the Division of Family and Consumer Sciences will prepare graduates to apply their knowledge and its application to the solution of contemporary human problems.
Students will pursue careers in areas such as: nutrition and food science; early childhood education; consumer education and protection; personal finance; community education; fashion merchandising; housing; and health and wellness, to name a few.
The Division of Family and Consumer Sciences at Kentucky State University is being re-established under the newly formed College of Agriculture, Community and the Sciences. It also includes a variety of Cooperative Extension Outreach programs throughout the state of Kentucky.
Outreach programs such as:
- The Kentucky State University Center for Nutrition, Health, and Wellness
- Family Development and Management Program
- EFNEP (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program through Cooperative Extension)
- Community Health and Wellness
- Youth Development
- Language Access for Limited English Proficient Clients
- Hispanic Outreach
Extension publications include:
- The Earned Income Tax Credit
- Money Management – Get More Bang for Your Buck
- Money Power for College Students
- Stretching Your Holiday Dollar
- Estate Planning Curriculum – Legally Secure Your Financial Future
- Healthy Homes
- Food & Nutrition – My Plate & Daily Food Log Reminders
- Working with Interpreters
- Working with Translators
- Developing a Language Access Plan
- Latino Volunteers