Chemistry Mission Statement:
The mission of the Bachelors of Science degree in Chemistry is to provide our graduates, especially underrepresented groups and minorities, with the conceptual and experimental tools to understand the world at a molecular level as preparation for graduate studies or careers in a chemistry-related field. By providing excellent student-centered learning experiences, our chemistry program will graduate students who demonstrate an ability to think critically, communicate effectively, validate scientific principles in research training, and participate in practical chemical experiences. Our graduates will possess exceptional laboratory skills, modern analytical techniques, and value chemists’ continual contributions to enhancing society.
Chemistry Vision Statement:
The vision of the Chemistry program aims to become nationally recognized in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and the Commonwealth of Kentucky’s STEM community for distinctions in higher education pedagogy, student-centered learning, and participation in the creation and dissemination of new knowledge. The chemistry program strives to contribute economic and intellectual growth to the region, and graduating junior scientists who are committed to excellence, leadership, service and both personal and professional growth through lifelong learning.
Chemistry Core Values:
As primary stakeholders, our chemistry faculty, staff, and administrators value:
- Passion for Mission (We come to work to foster sustainable chemical development and advance human dignity within the Commonwealth especially for underrepresented minority communities.)
- A Foundation in Liberal Studies (We design chemistry courses with a multidisciplinary approach, examining how advances in chemical research effects Humanities, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and the Arts.)
- Excellence (We strive for efficiency, effectiveness, and meaningful results across our chemical discipline.)
- Integrity (We are honest and transparent, accountable for our efforts, and maintain a consistently high moral and ethical standard.)
- Respect (We demonstrate respect for one another, our partners, and the undergraduate students we serve in the Commonwealth especially for underrepresented communities around the world.)
- Empowerment (We elevate junior scientist voices striving for regional economic, environmental and social progress)
- Commitment to Learning (We seek to improve ourselves, chemistry courses, program curriculum, and our work continually through design thinking and assessments.)