FRANKFORT, Ky., -- Kentucky State University students pose in front of Hume Hall, Tuesday, Oct. 09, 2018 at the Kentucky State University Campus in FRANKFORT.

Course Load & Program Extension Travel Plans Abroad CPT/OPT for F-1 Students
Advising / Importance of DSO's Signature Social Security Driver's License
Tuition & Payment Plans Health Care & Medical Internships
Tax Information

Current Students

F-1 students’ main purpose for being in the United States is to be a student. It is very important and it is your responsibility to maintain your legal status while in the United States. If you need advice or have some concerns regarding your F-1 status, please come to the OIA office and see a DSO (Designated School Official). Do not rely on your friends or peers. The only people qualified to give visa regulation advice at KSU are the DSOs. Immigration regulations may change, so please contact OIA if you have any questions.

The basic steps to ensure you are maintaining your F-1 status are as follows:

Keep Your F-1 Status Legal

  • Maintain your immigration documents:
    • a valid passport: All international students must have a valid passport while the in United States. The passport must be valid at least 6 months all the time while in the United States. It is student’s RESPONSIBILITY to maintain your passport valid.
    • a valid I-20
    • I-94 (see below)
  • A full-time course load.
  • Report changes (address change should report to OIA within 10 days of the change. If you change your major, you must also report to OIA to update your I-20)
  • Have no unauthorized employment (F-1 students are eligible to work off-campus unless otherwise specially authorized. F-1 students can work on campus, however, on-campus work cannot exceed 20 hours per week during the semester).
  • Obtain a travel signature before leaving the United States.
  • Notify OIA if you plan to transfer to another U.S. institution.
  • File income taxes, if applicable.

I-94 Document

The I-94 is the Arrival/Departure Record. You will receive an annotated stamp in your passport when you arrive and pass the inspection at the U.S. Port of Entry. You can print your I-94 from the Department of Homeland Security website at You should print this form and keep it with your immigration documents. You need to double check to make sure that all information is correct. Click here for a sample I-94.