Course Load & Program Extension Travel Plans Abroad CPT/OPT for F-1 Students
Advising / Importance of DSO's Signature Social Security Driver's License
Tuition & Payment Plans Health Care & Medical Internships
Tax Information

Tax Information

Each year, the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that all workers file a tax return which is due on April 15 of the following year. International students in the U.S. are required to file their taxes with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), if you are employed on campus. International students must declare the number of days spent in the US (Form 8843). As a nonresident alien, you are also required to file a tax return, which is sometimes called Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ.

  • If you receive U.S. source income including wages, stipend, or scholarship funds, you will likely have federal taxes withheld from your checks (unless you benefit from a tax treaty.)
  • The U.S. federal tax system is a pay-as-you go system. This means that income may be reduced by tax withholdings.
  • When you file your annual U.S. federal tax return in April of each year, the exact amount of tax due is calculated. You may get a refund or you may owe additional taxes.
  • You must have an SSN to file a federal tax return.
  • The tax year runs from January 1 to December 31. Tax returns are due the following year in mid-April. Taxes are paid to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The Office of International Affairs will organize workshops and hands-on activities to help you out filling the taxes. Please watch your email for announcement of available dates. Students must mail their taxes through the campus post office before April 15 of each year. Here is a link of 2019 IRS publication that has information about the preparation of basic international student/scholar tax returns