Pictures of Social Security Cards

Course Load & Program Extension Travel Plans Abroad CPT/OPT for F-1 Students
Advising / Importance of DSO's Signature Social Security Driver's License
Tuition & Payment Plans Health Care & Medical Internships
Tax Information

Social Security Number

International students who have applied for on-campus student work opportunities MUST get a social security card BEFORE they begin working, but AFTER they have been hired. In order to apply for a Social Security Number you will need to:

  • Wait at least two weeks from the date on your I-94 card to apply and after the first week of classes if you are a new international student
  • Become officially hired by an on-campus employer such as the KSU Bookstore, Cafeteria, RA, OneStop, etc.
  • Complete all tax forms and paperwork required by Human Resources (located in ASB, second floor)
  • Complete the Social Security Card application found here: and read the important information about international students found here:
  • Obtain the Employment Verification Letter from the Office of International Affairs (located in 109 Cooperative Extension Building).
  • Have your employer complete Section 1 of the Employment Verification Letter
  • Come to the Office of International Affairs during scheduled advising hours with Section 1 of your Employment Verification Letter completed. Once you have done so, the Director of International Affairs or a DSO will complete the form by signing Section 2.

The Social Security Administration requires the following items in order to apply for a Social Security Number:

The Social Security Administration is located at 140 Flynn Ave., Frankfort, KY 40601.

Once you receive your Social Security Number by mail you must:

  • Go in person with your Social Security card to the Management Information System Department located at ASB to update your Social Security number in the Student Information System (SIS)/W.I.R.E.D.
  • Provide a copy of your Social Security card to the Office of the Controller (Bursar’s Office?) located in ASB.
  • Provide a copy of the card to the Human Resources Officer located at ASB for the department with which you are working at KSU.

Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number

Be careful with your Social Security card and number. Show your card to your employer when you start a job so your records are correct. Provide your Social Security Number to your financial institution(s) for tax reporting purposes. Keep your card and any other document that shows your Social Security Number on it in a safe place. DO NOT routinely carry your card or other documents that display your number. For more information, visit