Picture of sample driver's license

Course Load & Program Extension Travel Plans Abroad CPT/OPT for F-1 Students
Advising / Importance of DSO's Signature Social Security Driver's License & Taxes
Tuition & Payment Plans Health Care & Medical  

Driver’s License

All non-U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Foreign License Reciprocity. Drivers from non-Foreign License Reciprocity Countries must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky.

All non-U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky permit/license are required to take the written, vision, and road tests. This includes transfer drivers holding a valid license from another state or country. Drivers holding a valid out of state license, or a valid license from a foreign reciprocity country, will not be required to hold a permit. Non-U.S. citizens already licensed in Kentucky are not required to retest, but they must be approved by Division of Driver Licensing. Permanent Residents with a valid license from a foreign reciprocity country will only be required to take the written/vision exam. Otherwise, all testing is required. For more information, please visit

As of today, available testing languages for written permit test are as follows:

Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

The regional office in Frankfort:

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Driver Licensing
200 Mero Street 2nd Floor
Frankfort, KY 40622

Phone: (502) 564-1257

Office hours: 8:00 am – 3:30 pm

You must bring the following to the Office:

  • Completed application form (TC 94-152)
  • Letter from OIA or a DSO stating that you are student in good standing at KSU
  • Valid passport
  • S. visa
  • Current I-20
  • I-94
  • Social Security Card or Ineligibility Letter from Social Security Administration
  • INS School Compliance Form (TC 94-159, Rev 10/18) must be dated within the last 30 days
  • Proof of address within the last 30 days.

Tax Information

Each year, the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that all workers file a tax return which is due on April 15 of the following year. International students in the U.S. are required to file their taxes with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), if you are employed on campus. International students must declare the number of days spent in the US (Form 8843). As a nonresident alien, you are also required to file a tax return, which is sometimes called Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. The Office of International Affairs will organize workshops and hands-on activities to help you out filling the taxes. Please watch your email for announcement of available dates. Students must mail their taxes through the campus post office before April 15 of each year. Here is a link of 2019 IRS publication that has information about the preparation of basic international student/scholar returns

IMPORTANT: Hands on workshops for 2019 Tax Return will be held in COOP 121 Cooperative Extension Building on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.