Math Minimum Scores and Exemptions
Students with an ACT Math sub-score below 19 (or 510 on the SAT Math Section Score) must take the Mathematics Placement Test to ensure correct placement.
Depending on the major, students will be placed in one of the following mathematics pathways.
Mathematics Placement Criteria for Majors that Require College Algebra (MAT 115)
The following majors require College Algebra (MAT 115 or MAT 115A):
- Agriculture, Food & Environment Business (all options)
- Biology (all options)
- Business (all options)
- Computer Science (all options)
- Elementary Education
- Mathematics (all options)
Hence, based on the students’ ACT/SAT math test score(s), individuals required to take College Algebra (MAT 115) should be placed as follows:
|ACT Math Score||SAT Math Score||Placement Math Course Name||Course Code|
|15 - 18||410 - 500||Algebraic Concepts||MAT 101|
|19 - 21||510 - 530||Accelerated College Algebra||MAT 115A|
|22 - 24||540 to 580||College Algebra||MAT 115|
|25 - 26||590 to 620||Precalculus or Business Calculus and Matrices||MAT 120 or MAT 125|
|27 or higher||Above 630||Calculus and Analytic Geometry I||MAT 131|
Mathematics Placement Criteria for Majors that DO NOT Require College Algebra (MAT 115) or Accelerated College Algebra (MAT 115A)
Students that have chosen a major in which College Algebra is not required should be placed as follows:
|ACT Math Score||SAT Math Score||Placement Math Course Name||Course Number|
|15 or higher||400 or above||Contemporary Mathematics||MAT 111|
Good Housekeeping Notes to Remember
- Any transfer student who does not have appropriate ACT/SAT scores or has not successfully completed appropriate courses prior to enrollment must take the placement test.
- Students with an ACT Math Score of less than 19 who want to improve their placement will have the opportunity to take the placement test.
- MAT 101 is the pre-requisite for MAT 115A.
- MAT 111 is not a pre-requisite for MAT 115 or MAT 115A.