Mathematics and Physics
It is the mission of the Mathematics and Physics Department to provide support to Kentucky State University in three important areas:
- Provide varied options within our degree program that prepare our majors for further academic study or for mathematics related careers in education, industry, or government.
- Teach courses that are a service for other disciplines and courses that present mathematics as an area of liberal studies.
- Provide access and support to under-prepared students by offering courses that enable them to succeed in college-level mathematics.
Mathematics and Physics programs
Knowledge of mathematical facts and procedures is indispensable to a satisfactory understanding of every field of science. This is true for both the physical and biological sciences, and even the humanities are influenced by the traditions of mathematical knowledge. Mathematical skills and processes are central to the development and practice of critical thought and expression. Physics is the science that seeks to employ mathematics to explain the universe and its phenomena. Courses in mathematics and physics at Kentucky State University are designed to integrate theoretical and practical topics.
The Division of Mathematics and Sciences offers programs leading to a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with the following options:
- Pure Mathematics
- Mathematics/Applied (Pre-Engineering)
- Mathematics with specialization in Mathematics Education