Kentucky State University is deeply committed to the health and well-being of all members of the Thorobred Family and are doing our part to help stem the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). We are participating in myriad conference calls and webinars regarding public agency responses.
Everyone has read my campus statement on liberal leave. However, after several phone calls and emails some clarifications are needed. Below please find the important facts bulleted below.
- Kentucky State University will open on liberal leave for all students, faculty, and staff on March 16, 2020.
- Pursuant to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance, formal or informal gatherings of more than 25 persons are discouraged.
- Any person who perceives themselves to be at risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19 should refrain from returning to campus in any form.
- Any students, faculty, or staff who believe they may be impacted to by COVID-19 should seek medical assistance and/or self-quarantine.
- The campus residence halls, buildings, and dining operations will reopen for all students as scheduled to accommodate travel plans which cannot be modified.
- There will be no academic instruction from March 16, 2020 through March 22, 2020 in any form (i.e., face-to-face or online).
- Academic Affairs will work with the Faculty Senate to approve the proposed “Continuity of Instruction Plan” and assist faculty with modifying course syllabi and delivery modes. These are necessary steps to comply with our regional accrediting body.
- Faculty should use March 16, 2020 through March 22, 2020 to comply with the proposed “Online Migration Plan” which also addresses the delivery of both Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment content.
- All instruction will resume on March 23, 2020 via a modified format until April 3, 2020 (i.e., modifications include both synchronous content via Zoom or other modules and traditionally asynchronous content delivery online).
- The campus will not host any formal on-campus assemblies and convocations prior to April 3, 2020.
- The campus will also suspend participation in spring intercollegiate and/or intramural athletic competitions prior to April 3, 2020.
- The campus will post additional information and resources as they become available.
We recognize this is a difficult time for everyone affiliated with Kentucky State University. These decisions are being made out of an abundance of caution.
I am asking all persons to monitor the campus website and news outlets for critical updates. It is imperative to remain vigilant as we endeavor to respond to the fluid landscape generated by COVID-19.
Please stay safe and exercise good judgement. I wish all of you good health.
* Plain-speak – to state exactly what is thought or intended.
M. Christopher Brown II, Ph.D.