Graduate Studies Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions about Graduate Studies for international students at Kentucky State University.

What residence life options (housing, food, and other services) are available to graduate students?

Please contact the Office of Residence Life.

How do I arrange for payment of tuition and fees?

Please contact the Bursar’s Office.

How much does it cost to attend graduate studies at Kentucky State University?

Please refer to Tuition and Fees for the most up-to-date estimated costs.

Do you require any Graduate Admission Test (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, etc.)?


Do you require an English Language Proficiency Test (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)?

If your native language is not English, you must submit official results of one of the following in order to receive consideration for admission:

  • Visit ETS for information on how to request ETS to send TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test score reports.
  • Visit IELTS for information on how to request IELTS to send IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test score reports.
  • For both TOEFL and IELTS, the institutional code to use to request your Test Scores to be sent to GradCAS as the application service currently for Kentucky State University, the code for all TOEFL scores to GradCAS is B886. the Kentucky State University direct code is 1368. 
  • Minimum Test Score Requirements
    • TOEFLL
      • Paper Based             525
      • Computer Based     194
      • Internet Based          70
    • IELTS                                    6.0
    • Duolingo                             100
Does Kentucky State University offer on-line graduate Degrees for International Students:

Yes, Kentucky State University currently offers three programs fully on-line and have an on-line option in one other. The programs are:

  • MA Special Education: some restrictions may apply
  • MS Environmental Studies: Capstone option only
  • Master of Public Administration
  • MA Interdisciplinary Behavioral Studies: Forensic Psychology program option is only
All of our programs have some courses that are available on-line, and most graduate level classes are offered on evenings.

What is the admission process for International Students?
  • A prospective International student must complete and submit the applications forms for admission.
  • Kentucky State University is using GradCAS as their application portal for all applications, use the apply now button on the Graduate Studies page to access the portal.
  • Request an Evaluation and Translation Agency (e.g., World Educational Services, or SpanTran) to send copies of the translation and evaluation of your transcript(s). Official WES report can be sent directly to GradCAS though the GradCAS application education section.  SpanTran can be sent directly to Graduate Studies at KSU physically or electronically (

    If you need to have it sent to campus the address is:

    • Office of Graduate Studies
      Kentucky State University
      Cooperative Extension Building
      Suite 225
      400 East Main St.
      Frankfort, Ky. 40601
    • Note: WES contact information is as follows:
      World Educational Services Inc.
      P.O. Box 745 Old Chelsea Station
      New York, NY. 10113-0745
      • Phone: (212) 966-6311
      • Fax: (212) 966-6395
      • Toll Free: 800-937-3895
    • Note: SpanTran contact information is as follows:

      SpanTran the Evaluation Company
      450 Seventh Avenue, Suite 804
      New York, NY 10123
    • Information about other accredited evaluation and translation services are available at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website.
  •  Kentucky State University cannot process your application until we receive your official transcript evaluation from the evaluation and translation service for all college work from outside of the United States.
  • You need to take Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an equivalent English Language Proficiency Test (e.g., IELTS) and request the testing agency to send the test score(s) directly the Office of Graduate Studies at Kentucky State University or directly to GradCAS. Note:
    • The institutional code to use to request your Test Scores to be sent to Kentucky State University is 1368.
    • The  institution code to use to request your Test Scores to be sent to GradCAS is  B886.
  • If you are admitted into the program, you need notify us in writing of your acceptance of the offer of admission.
  • You need to submit satisfactory verification of financial support and deposit required of international students. Full sponsorship or assistantship may meet the requirement.
  • The KSU International Student Experiences will then process and send you Form I-20.
Who is an international student (or applicant)?

You are an international student (or applicant) if you are NOT a U.S. citizen, an immigrant, or a green card holder. International applicants include students who hold U.S. visas, such as F-1, J-1 Exchange Visitors, H-1, dependent visas or any other non-immigrant classifications. International students must have a visa status that allows academic study at Kentucky State University.