Robert Durborow, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Director
School of Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences
College of Agriculture, Community and the Sciences
Aquaculture Research Facility
103 Athletic Dr.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 597-6581
Educate residents of Kentucky and surrounding states in all aspects of aquaculture using workshops, field trials and demonstrations, farm visits, publications, and fish disease diagnosis.
- Water Quality Management class and laboratory. AQU/BIO 460 (undergraduate course) and AQU 560 (graduate course), Kentucky State University. 4 credits. Spring Semester 1992 and Fall Semester 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
- Fish Diseases class and laboratory. AQUBIO 411 (undergraduate course) and AQU 511 (graduate course), Kentucky State University. 4 credits. Fall Semester, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006
Current and Recent Projects
- Fish Disease Cases in the KSU Fish Diseases Diagnostic Laboratory
- Developing online courses in water quality and fish diseases
- Aquaculture Safety grant with the University of Kentucky
- Koi production Field Trials/Demonstrations around the state
- Durborow, R.M., Roman Kuchta, and Tomáš Scholz. 2014. Paddlefish Diseases. In: Paddlefish Aquaculture, Life Sciences, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey. (submitted for publication in 2013).
- Durborow, R.M. 2014. Management of aquatic weeds. In B. S. Chauhan (Ed.), Recent Advances in Weed Management ) . Los Baños, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute. (submitted for publication to Springer Science+Media in 2013).
- Myers, M.L. and R.M. Durborow. 2012. Aquacultural Safety and Health. In: Health and Environment in Aquaculture. Carvalho, D., G.S. David and R.J. Silva, eds, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia. pp. 385-400. Whole book ; Chapter 15
- Durborow, R.M. 2013. Smaller scale trout production in states other than Idaho. In: Proceedings of special session Challenges of Inland Aquaculture in Temperate Regions organized and moderated by Jim Tidwell at AQUACULTURE 2013, Nashville, TN. February 25.
- Myers, M.L., R.M. Durborow and H.P. Cole. 2012. Inherently safer aquacultural work: Hierarchical hazard controls. Professional Safety; Journal of the American Society of Safety Engineers (July 2012) 57(7):44-51.
- Ogunsanya, T.O., R.M. Durborow, M.L. Myers, H.P. Cole, and S.L. Thompson. 2011. Safety on North Carolina and Kentucky Trout Farms: Avoiding Work-Related Hazards. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 17(1): 33-61.
- Durborow, R.M., M.L. Myers, H.P. Cole, T.O. Ogunsanya, and S.L. Thompson. 2011. Trout Farm Safety in North Carolina and Kentucky. In: 2011 National Symposium on Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Safety and Health Conference Place, Boise, Idaho.
- Ogunsanya, T., R. Durborow, C. Webster, J. Tidwell, K. Thompson, S. Coyle, H. Jarboe, L. Huang, D. Straus and C. Wang. 2011. Toxicity of rotenone to giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii. North American Journal of Aquaculture 73:159-163.
- Durborow, R. M. and B. Gomelsky. 2009. Fish diseases online course in video format. Presentation/Abstract In: Proceedings of Aquaculture America 2009, Seattle, WA.
- Ogunsanya T., R. Durborow, C. Webster, J. Tidwell, H. Jarboe, C. Wang, L. Huang, and Y. Brady. 2009. Acute toxicity of 5% Prentox® Prenfish™ rotenone to freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Presentation/Abstract In: Proceedings of Aquaculture America 2009, Seattle, Washington.
- Ogunsanya T., H. Cole, R. Durborow, and M. Myers. 2009. Aquaculture safety in Kentucky. Presentation/Abstract In: Proceedings of Aquaculture America 2009, Seattle, WA.
- Redden, A. J., B. Gomelsky, C. D. Webster, and R. M. Durborow. 2009. Evaluation of synthetic astaxanthin and alfalfa meal as a potential diet additive for color enhancement of koi, Cyprinus carpio. Presentation/Abstract In: Proceedings of Aquaculture America 2009, Seattle, Washington.
- Amoah, A., S.D. Coyle, C.D. Webster, R.M. Durborow, L.A. Bright, and J.H. Tidwell. 2008. Effects of graded levels of carbohydrate on growth and survival of largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 39(3):397-405.
- Myers, M.L., H.P. Cole, W. Stephens, R. Durborow, T. Ogunsanya. 2008. Simple solutions for safety. Poster presented at External Advisory Committee Meeting, Southeast Center for Agricultural Health and Injury Prevention. October 10, 2008.
- Durborow, R. M., C. S. Tucker, B. Gomelsky, R. J. Onders and S. D. Mims. 2007. Aquatic Weed Control in Ponds. Kentucky State University. 24 p.
- Durborow, R.M. 2007. Keeping Ponds Pretty (and Usable). Kentucky Woodlands Magazine. University of Kentucky Forestry Department. p. 10–12, and In: Kentucky Aquatic Farming, volume 20, no. 2. pp. 6-7.
- Dasgupta, S. and R. Durborow. 2007. Profitability and management of low-tech catfish farming: The case of Kentucky. World Aquaculture, March 2007. p. 14-16.
- Coyle, S. D., R. M. Durborow and J. H. Tidwell. 2004. Anesthetics in Aquaculture. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication no. 3900. 6 p.
- Durborow, R.M. 2004. PowerPoints, Videos and Photos for Water Quality Management and Fish Diseases. 2 CD lecture series disseminated to 5 universities collaborating on USDA Teaching Capacity Building Grant.
- Durborow, R., J. Tidwell, S. Coyle, F. Wynne, and S. Dasgupta. 2003. Freshwater Prawn Production. SRAC-funded educational video. 27 minutes.
- Durborow, R.M. 2003. Protozoan parasites. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication number 4701. Contains video clips,
- Durborow, R.M., D.J. Wise, and J.S. Terhune. 2003. Saprolegniasis (winter fungus) and branchiomycosis of commercially cultured channel catfish. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication number 4700.
- Durborow, R., J. Tidwell, S. Coyle, F. Wynne, and S. Dasgupta. 2003. Freshwater Prawn Production. SRAC funded educational video. 27 minutes.
- Tidwell, J.H., S. Coyle, R.M. Durborow, S. Dasgupta, W. Wurts, and Forrest Wynne, Leigh Anne Bright, and Aaron VanArnum. 2002. Growout of freshwater prawns in Kentucky ponds. Kentucky State University Aquaculture Program (Program of Distinction) 44 p.
- Durborow, R.M. 2001. Diseases of Warmwater Fish and Trout Diseases. DVD-ROM with 2 Educational Videos, 54 Publications, and Internet Web Links. Kentucky State University and United States Department of Agriculture. 60 minutes.
- Durborow, R.M. 2000. Catfish Farming In Kentucky. Kentucky State University, Kentucky Department of Agriculture, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 111 p
- Durborow, R.M. 2001. Channel Catfish Fingerling Production In Kentucky. Kentucky State University, Kentucky Department of Agriculture, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 20 p.
- Durborow, R.M. 1999. Health and safety concerns in fisheries and aquaculture. Occupational Medicine: State of the Art Reviews 14:373-406.
- American Fisheries Society
- Dr. Bill Wurt’s Web site
- Southern Regional Aquaculture Center
- World Aquaculture Society
- firstname.lastname@example.org for Dr. William Wurts, State Extension Specialist for Aquaculture, U.K. Research and Education Center, P.O. Box 469, Princeton, KY 42445. Phone (502) 365-7541 ext. 200; FAX (502) 365-2667
- email@example.com for Mr. Forrest Wynne, Area Extension Specialist for Aquaculture, Center for Rural Development, 2292 South Hwy 27, Suite 200, Somerset, KY 42501. Phone (606) 677-6185; FAX (606) 677-6188
- firstname.lastname@example.org for Dr. Steve Mims, Aquaculture Research Center, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY 40601. Phone (502) 597-8110; FAX (502) 564-9118
- email@example.com for Dr. Jim Tidwell, Aquaculture Research Center, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY 40601. Phone (502) 597-8104; FAX (502) 564-9118
- firstname.lastname@example.org for Dr. Carl Webster, Aquaculture Research Center, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY 40601. Phone (502) 597-8109; FAX (502) 564-9118
Degrees and Certifications
- A.B., Biology, Lafayette College, Easton, PA, 1978
- M.S., Fisheries Biology, Louisiana State University, 1981
- Ph.D., Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures, Auburn University, 1986
Specializes in Agriculture Administration, Aquaculture production and disease diagnostics.