Boris Gomelsky, Ph.D.
Professor / Principal Investigator
School of Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences
Aquaculture Research Facility
103 Athletic Dr.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 597-8114
Dr. Gomelsky has 30 years of experience working with different fish species in Russia, Israel, and the United States. He is the author of more than 50 scientific articles, and Associate Editor of the North American Journal of Aquaculture. Main scientific interests: fish genetics and reproduction. Chromosome set and sex manipulation methods: hormonal sex reversal, induced gynogenesis, androgenesis, polyploidy. Cytogenetics of fish reproduction, natural gynogenesis, distant hybridization. Inheritance of qualitative morphological traits, DNA markers and their application, and induced spawning of fish.
Teaches classroom and online courses in Fish Genetics (AQU 407/507) and classroom and online courses in Fish Reproduction and Spawning Techniques (AQU427/527); wrote book on Fish Genetics in textbook format, “Fish Genetics: Theory and Practice.”
- Mims, S.D., L.I. Tsvetkova, G.G. Brown, and B.I. Gomelsky. 2000. Cryopreservation of sperm of sturgeon and paddlefish. In book: Cryopresrvation in Aquatic species. Tiersch, T.R. and P.M. Mazik, Editors. World Aquaculture Society, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, p. 123-129.
- Ben-Dom, N., N. Cherfas, B. Gomelsky, and G. Hulata. 2000. Genetic stability of Israeli common carp stocks inferred from electrophoretic analysis of transferrin, phofphoglucomutase and glucose-6-phosphate isomerase. Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh 52: 30-35.
- Gomelsky, B., S.D. Mims, W.L. Shelton, R.J. Onders, K. Dabrowski, and M.A. Garcia-Abiado. 2000. Induced gynogenesis in black crappie Pomoxis nigromaculatus. North American Journal of Aquaculture 62: 33-4.
- Ben-Dom, N., N. Cherfas, B. Gomelsky, R. Avtalion, B. Moav, and G. Hulata. 2001. Production of heterozygous and homozygous clones of common carp: evidence from DNA fingerprinting and mixed leukocyte reaction. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh 53: 89-100.
- Gomelsky, B., S.D. Mims, R.J. Onders and W.B. Bean. 2002. Hormonal sex reversal and evidence of female homogamety in black crappie. North American Journal of Aquaculture 64: 66-69.
- Mims, S.D., A. Lazur, W.L. Shelton, B. Gomelsky, and F. Chapman. 2002. Production of Sturgeon. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Fact Sheet (SRAC Publication No.7200), 8 p.
- Gomelsky, B. 2003. Chromosome set manipulation and sex control in common carp: a review. Aquatic Living Resources 16: 408-415.
- Linhart, O., S.D. Mims, B. Gomelsky, A.E. Hiott et al. 2003. Ionic composition and osmolality of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula, Acipenseriformes) seminal fluid. Aquaculture International 11:357-368.
- Gomelsky, B., N. Chefas, G. Hulata, and S. Dasgupta. 2003. Inheritance of white-red (Kohaku) color complex in ornamental (koi) carp Cyprinus carpio L. Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh 55: 147-153.
- Mims, S.D., R.J. Onders, B. Gomelsky, and W.L. Shelton. 2004. Effectiveness of the minimally invasive surgical technique (MIST) for removal of ovulated eggs from first-time and second-time mist-spawned paddlefish. North American Journal of Aquaculture 66:70-72.
- Gomelsky, B., K. Dabrowski, M.A. Garcia-Abiado, W. Stilwel, J.H. Tidwell, and S.D. Coyle. 2004 Ploidy of backcross hybrids of largemouth bass and smallmouth bass. North American Journal of Aquaculture 66: 133-136.
- Gomelsky, B., S.D. Mims, R.J. Onders, and N.D. Novelo. 2005. Inheritance of predorsal black stripe in crappie. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 67:167-170.
- Mims, S.D., Shelton, W.L., Linhart, O., Wang, C., Gomelsky, B., and R.J. Onders. 2005. Application of a temperature-dependent mitotic interval (tau0) for induction of diploid meiotic gynogenetic paddlefish. North American Journal of Aquaculture 67: 340-343.
- Linhart, O., S.D. Mims, B. Gomelsky, L. I. Tsvetkova et al. 2006. Effect of cryoprotectants and male on motility parameters and fertilization rate in paddlefish (Polyodon spathula) frozen-thawed spermatozoa. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 22: Suppl. 1, 389-394.
- Horvath, A., Urbanyi, B., Mims, S.D., Bean, W.B., Gomelsky, B., and T.R. Tiersch. 2006. Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula). Journal of World Aquaculture Society 37: 356-362.
- Berra, T.M., Gomelsky, B., Thompson, B.A., and D. Webb. 2007. Reproductive anatomy, gonad development and spawning seasonality of nurseryfish, Kurtus gulliveri (Percifirmes: Kurtidae). Australian Journal of Zoology 55:211-217.
- Cuevas-Uribe, R., Gomelsky, B., Mims, S.D., and K.W. Pomper. 2009. Progress in studies on hormonal sex reversal and genetic sex control in black crappie. Reviews in Fisheries Science 17:1-7.
- Novelo, N., and B. Gomelsky. 2009. Comparison of two methods for measurement of red-area coverage in white-red fish for analysis of color variability and inheritance in ornamental (koi) carp Cyprinus carpio. Aquatic Living Resources 22:113-116.
- Novelo, N. D., Gomelsky, B., and K.W. Pomper. 2010. Inheritance and reliability of random amplified polymorphic DNA-markers in two consecutive generations of common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Aquaculture Research 41:220-226.
- Gomelsky, B., Schneider, K. J., and A.S. Alsaqufi. 2011. Inheritance of long fins in ornamental koi carp. North American Journal of Aquaculture 73:49-52.
- Gomelsky, B. 2011. Fish Genetics: Theory and Practice. VDM Verlag Publishing, Saarbrücken (Germany).
- Gomelsky, B., Schneider, K.J. and D.A. Plouffe. 2012. Koi x goldfish hybrid females produce triploid progeny when backcrossed to koi males. North American Journal of Aquaculture 74:449-452.
- Gomelsky, B., Schneider, K.J., Glennon, R.P. and D.A.Plouffe. 2012. Effect of ploidy on scale-cover pattern in linear ornamental (koi) common carp Cyprinus carpio. Journal of Fish Biology 81:1201-1209.
- Glennon, R.P., Gomelsky, B., Schneider, K.J., Kelly, A.M. and A. Haukenes. 2012. Evidence of female heterogamety in largemouth bass, based on sex ratio of gynogenetic progeny. North American Journal of Aquaculture 74:537-540.
Degrees and Certifications
- B.Sc., Ichthyology and Fish-Culture, University of Fisheries, Kaliningrad, Russia, 1975
- M.Sc., Ichthyology and Fish-Culture, University of Fisheries, Kaliningrad, Russia, 1977
- Ph. D., Genetics, Institute of Developmental Biology at Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia, 1985
Specializes in Fish Genetics and Reproduction.