Transfer Coursework

Transcript evaluations at Kentucky State University are carried out in accordance with guidelines published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education, and the Southern Association of College and Schools.

The Registrar, or his or her designee, will evaluate and approve all general education core transfer coursework from regionally accredited post-secondary institutions that are not state-assisted institutions or institutions outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky based on Kentucky State University policies and the Kentucky assisted college and universities in the Commonwealth of Kentucky based on Kentucky State University policies and the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education General Education Transfer Policy.

All major and minor courses not included in the Kentucky State University general education core requirements will be evaluated and approved by the academic units in which these courses would reside.

  • Kentucky State University accepts transfer credits with a grade of D or better. Exceptions to this are transfer equivalents for ENG 101 and ENG 102, which must have grades of C or better.
  • Credits that do not fulfill requirements will be accepted as free electives if grades of D or better were earned. If a grade of D is transferred and the student attempts to use this course to satisfy the requirements for a major or minor, or an area of specialization, the student will have to take the course at KSU and earn a grade of C or better.
  • Kentucky State University will not give upper-level credit for courses completed a junior and community colleges without validation that the courses are equivalent to upper-level Kentucky State University courses, with the respective departments reserving final approval.

A transfer applicant is responsible for ensuring that all transcripts of previous college or university coursework are sent to the Office of Admissions.  The admission decision cannot be made until all transcripts of previous college or university coursework, except for any coursework currently in progress, are received.  In the event of academic suspension/dismissal from any institution previously attended or currently being attended, an applicant must submit a letter of good academic standing from the last institution attended, stating that he or she is eligible to return to that institution.  Further, an applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from the Dean of Students of each institution attended.

Transfer students will not have a University cumulative grade-point average until they have completed one semester of coursework at Kentucky State University.  Quality points will be awarded only for work completed at KSU.

The number of Integrative Studies semester credit hours required of transfer students varies in accordance with the number of transfer credit hours accepted by the University toward fulfillment of graduation requirements.  Students who transfer with courses similar to the University’s Integrative Studies offerings may be exempted from these courses, with the consent of the Coordinator of Integrative Studies or the Director of the Whitney Young School of Honors and Liberal Studies.  Those exemptions will be determined on an individual basis.

Students visiting another institution

Students must complete a Visiting Student Letter (available at the Office of the University Registrar or online) and have the appropriate signatures in advance of taking the class in order to transfer work back to Kentucky State University. The Office of the University Registrar will certify that the student is in good academic standing and forward this information to the school which the student will visit.

The student will be responsible for having an official transcript for the work done at the other school sent to the Office of the University Registrar at Kentucky State University.

The preceding policies apply to all students enrolled in undergraduate courses at Kentucky State University.