If you are currently on a visa other than an F-1, and want to change to F-1 Student Visa status, you must submit the materials listed below to the Office of Global Education & Programs (OGEP).
Depending on your current legal status, you may or may not be allowed to enroll till your appeal has been granted. Please check with OGEP to be sure whether you may start classes while immigration adjudicates your appeal.
Your dossier will comprise the following documents:
- A completed and signed Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
- Form I-539 fee, made payable to USCIS ($300 as of April 2010.)
- Original Form I-94 and original Form I-20.
- Proof of payment of SEVIS fee. You will need to obtain a Form I-901, Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants, or request the form by phone at 1-800-870-3676.
- Form I-94 photocopy of both sides.
- Photocopy of current immigration status documents, visa stamp, and passport ID pages. If you have someone on a dependent visa, you must submit copies of the documents of the initial visa holder (e.g., F-1 if you are currently in F-2 status, J-1 if you are currently in J-2 status, etc.).
- Photocopy of financial support documents
- Letter explaining why you want to change your status to F-1
Once you have put together all the above-mentioned documents (except the the I-20), call OGEP to make an appointment to complete the last phase of the document compilation process. Take the documents to your OGEP appointment. At OGEP we will review your dossier and prepare an I-20 for you. That will complete your application packet, which you must submit to Citizenship and Immigration Services service center. Here is the mailing address:
PO Box 851182
Mesquite, TX 75185-1182