All Upward Bound students must attend tutoring sessions. Students with a GPA of 2.5 or above must attend tutoring at least once a week. Students who received a GPA below a 2.5 must attend tutoring twice a week.
1) Academic probation/Tutoring
Students will be required to attend UB tutoring or ESS provided by the school. If he/she chooses to receive tutoring from another program including ESS, proof of service must be given to UB staff within two or three business days. During academic probation, UB students are required to communicate and work closely with the Academic Counselor and UB instructors in order to ensure his/her academic progress. Any student receiving tutoring must inform Upward Bound staff.
2) Meet with Director to determine membership status
Students who do not improve their grade average after academic probation will meet with their parent(s) and the Director of Upward Bound to determine the status of their membership with Upward Bound. One or more of the following course of actions may be taken:
1) Student may not attend educational, cultural, or social trips and/or activities.
2) Student may not participate with the summer residential program.
3) Student may be dismissed from the program and put on the waiting list.
4) Student may be dismissed from the program indefinitely.
Upward Bound staff regards the right to determine the consequences of students who do not maintain the established grade point average of 2.5.
3) Dismissal from the program
The Upward Bound Director has the right to dismiss a UB student from the program for one or more of the following reasons:
1) Student does not meet the academic requirements.
2) Student is frequently absent from Saturday sessions and/or other UB activities.
3) Student does not improve grades after receiving academic probation and/or after meeting with the Director.
4) Student does not adhere to the Code of Conduct guidelines