Ph.D. (1984), Agricultural Economics, Oklahoma State University
M.S. (1980), Agricultural Economics, University of Kentucky.
B.S. Agriculture (1976), Animal Science, University of Kentucky.
Raised on a tobacco and livestock farm in Scott County, KY. Currently owns and operates MS Quarter Horses.
State Specialist for Small Farm and Part‑time Farmers, Kentucky State University Cooperative Extension Program, Frankfort, KY (1984 to present).
- Director of the Kentucky State University Small Farm Program (1984 - Present) and OASDFR/SFTTAP Small Farmer Outreach Program (1989 – present)
- State Co-Coordinator for the Southern Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) Program (1996 to present).
- 250 funded external grant proposals
- Developer/principle investigator “The Third Thursday Thing” – 1997 – present.
- National Small Farm Advisory Committee (1995 – present)
- National Small Farm Conferences: Co-Chair (1996), Steering Committee 1996 – present.
- Proposal Review Panel Member - USDA-CSREES/NIFA – 1999 - 2011, numerous panels and topics; USDA-Rural Development Value-Added Grants Program – 2002 – 2011.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, University of KY Department of Agricultural Economics, 2003 - present.
- Project Director of the “Estate and Retirement Planning for Farm Families” website.
- Book chapter and website author for The Meat Goat Production Handbook.
- Project Developer for the 1890 Risk-Assessed Business Planning for Small Producers curriculum.
- Recipient of the 1890 Association of Extension Administrators Distinguished Service Award for a Specialist, 2003.
- Recipient of the George Washington Carver Public Service Hall of Fame Award, Tuskegee University, 2006.
- Project Director, Lead Institution, Author: Series of Foreign Animal and Zoonotic Disease Prevention Publications, English version (10 publications) and Spanish version (10 publications), 2011.
Marion F. Simon
State Specialist for Small Farm and Part-time Farmers
400 East Main St. Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 597-6437