Division Chair: Joanne Bankston, Ph.D., Interim Chair
The Division of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) will provide leading edge education and training that prepares students with highly marketable skills for leadership roles in professional FCS careers. There will be a growing need for persons prepared to address the numerous challenges and issues faced by individuals, families, and communities. A degree from the Division of Family and Consumer Sciences will prepare graduates to apply their knowledge and its application to the solution of contemporary human problems.
Students will pursue careers in areas such as: nutrition and food science; early childhood education; consumer education and protection; personal finance; community education; fashion merchandising; housing; and health and wellness, to name a few.
The Division of Family and Consumer Sciences at Kentucky State University is being re-established under the newly formed College of Agriculture, Food Science, and Sustainable Systems. Other division programs include:
- Cooperative Extension Outreach programs throughout the state of Kentucky
- The Kentucky State University Center for Nutrition, Health, and Wellness
- Family Development and Management Program (Cooperative Extension) – provides educational programs to limited resource families on parenting, food and nutrition, budgeting, and home management
- EFNEP (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program through Cooperative Extension) – provides programs on food , nutrition, diet and health to limited resource families and youth groups
- Community health and wellness programs
- Youth development programs
- Extension publications on: The Earned Income Tax Credit; Money Management – Get More Bang for Your Buck; Money Power for College Students; Stretching Your Holiday Dollar; Estate Planning Curriculum – Legally Secure Your Financial Future; Healthy Homes; Food & Nutrition – My Plate & Daily Food Log Reminders; Hispanic Initiative: Working with Translators.
Program Contact Information
Dr. Joanne Bankston
Division of Family & Consumer Science
Cooperative Extension Program Facility
400 East Main St.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 597-6174