The University Police Department provides round-the-clock coverage of the campus area. Service is provided for all emergency calls, including law violations, sickness, first aid, emergency maintenance, emergency notification and all fire calls. All University Police Officers are sworn peace officers with full arrest power. The department is located in the Exum Building, and the telephone number is 597-6878.
TRAFFIC AND PARKING REGULATIONS
The following regulations shall apply to all faculty, staff, students and visitors who operate a motor vehicle on the Kentucky State University campus. These regulations are in compliance with city and state traffic regulations inasmuch as the powers and authority of the University Police Department are pursuant to Kentucky Revised Statutes 164.950 and 164.955. Cooperation in adhering to these regulations is needed for the orderly movement of traffic, parking convenience and the safety of the entire University community.Enforcement Hours
Parking rules and regulations are in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Campus areas are patrolled on a 24-hour basis. Any person receiving in excess of 20 violations, (moving or parking) will be subject to having their driving and parking privileges on University property revoked.
The purchase of a University parking decal does not guarantee a parking space. The parking decal gives the purchaser the right to properly park on University property. Parking spaces are also located across the street from the main campus by Rosenwald Preschool. A tunnel leading to main campus is there for your convenience. The Alumni Athletic Complex locates additional parking.
- All city and state regulations and rules, directional signs, and signals governing use of motor vehicles shall be observed at all times. All motor vehicle operators are subject to state traffic citations as well as University traffic and parking tickets.
- The speed limit on campus is 20 miles per hour.
- All vehicles must come to a complete stop at intersections where stop signs are located.
- Motorists must give pedestrians crossing the street the right-of-way at designated and unmarked crosswalks.
- Unnecessary noise from horns, mufflers and loud music is prohibited.
- Loading and service zones are reserved exclusively for service vehicles. Service and emergency zones should be clear at all times. Vehicles in these areas without proper authorization will be towed.
- Motor vehicles must be parked within the white lines of a parking space. Parking on or over a curb is a violation of these regulations.
- Possession of a parking decal to which one is not entitled is in violation of regulations and a fine of $100.00.
- The person in whose name a vehicle is registered will be responsible for paying any fines of any violations pertaining to the car, regardless of who is operating it.
- Any vehicle towed may be located by contacting the University Police Department.
- Parking on grass is not permitted.
A penalty of $20.00 and disciplinary action, if warranted, will be imposed for the following:
- Giving false information or permitting another person to register your vehicle.
- Using a permit not properly issued or to which you are not entitled.
- Transferring or allowing a permit to be transferred to another vehicle.
- Operating a vehicle or permitting others to operate the vehicle after driving privileges have been revoked.
All fines should be paid at the University Bursar's Office. Present ticket at time of fine payment. Fine (s) will be charged to the individual's personal account if not paid within three days.
For information concerning tickets and fines, contact the University Police Department, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Excessive violations (20 or more) during a school year, may result in a vehicle being trespassed from the campus, and driving privileges revoked.
Payment of outstanding fines shall be a prerequisite to completing registration for any semester.
- Cross the street at crosswalks, after looking in both directions.
- Do not leave the curb when you will interfere with vehicular traffic.
- Use the sidewalk for walking. When this is not possible, walk on the left side of the road facing on-coming traffic.
- Do not stand in the street and talk to vehicle operators.
- Pedestrians have the right of way at marked and unmarked crosswalks at all times.
- Escort Service - this service is available upon request during evening hours, to enhance student safety. Call the University Police at 6878.
- Operation I.D. - this service is available to all resident students who desire to document a list of personal property that will be in their dorm rooms. These items would include a description, identifying numbers, and a value. A form is available at the University Police Department.
- Medical Emergencies - immediately call the University Police at 6878 and EMS will be called to assist along with an officer.
- Lost & Found Property - property that has been found and turned into the University Police Department will be logged and placed in safekeeping. If you have lost property file a report with the University Police Department.
Vehicle Lockouts & Jump-Starts - call 6878 for assistance.