Process for Student
1) STUDENT---Determine that Federal Work Study or Part Time Employment appears as an award on the Financial Aid Award Letter. Go to “Get Wired” and under Financial Aid it will be listed in the section titled “Award Information by Year”
2) STUDENT – Print the required checklist and forms. The link to these forms will
be provided within these instructions. Make sure to print the correct packet of forms! There are two: one for "new" students who have not participated in FWS in the past 12 months and a different one for students who have worked in the past 12 months.
3) Review the "Job Listings" and contact the supervisor listed to arrange an interview for potential employment.
Once you have found a job and have all of the required documents on the checklist completed, the entire packet of forms must be returned to the Financial Aid Office immediately
3) Financial Aid Office-----within 3 business days after receiving the required documents, the Financial Aid Office will send to the supervisor, via campus mail, a Work Study Authorization Form which will list the number of hours awarded to work for each semester, the rate of pay, and the provisions of the work study program. ** Due to the requirement of background checks for all new students, the processing for new students may be delayed.
4) The Supervisor and Student ---each will sign and date the Work Study Authorization form and keep the appropriate copy for their records. The department timekeeper must also sign this form.
5) Supervisor ---will return to the Financial Aid Office either via campus mail or in person, the remaining two copies of the Work Study Authorization form (White and Yellow copies). Due to the importance of these documents, the student should not be given these forms to return.
Once the Work Study Authorization form has been returned to the Financial Aid Office, the student may begin work!! Students who start work without following the above guidelines will not be paid by the Federal Work Study program, and the Department will be responsible for paying the student for hours worked.
PROVISIONS OF THE WORK STUDY PROGRAM
Please read the following information carefully:
_____ Student agrees not to begin work until the Work Study Authorization form is completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office by the SUPERVISOR.
_____ The Student and Supervisor agree to prepare and submit timesheets on the due date for each period worked. Each timesheet must have each time period worked initialed for both time in and time out by the supervisor. The “hours remaining” section must be calculated at the end of each period. In addition, the data must be entered into the EXCEL timesheet and the totals must match. Time sheets must be turned in immediately at the end of each pay period or the student will not receive a check until the following pay period. Timekeepers will not accept timesheets that are not completed correctly as stated above.
_____ In order to retain their work study award, students must work a minimum of 10 hours per week, but no more than 20 hours per week. Students may not work during any hours for which they are scheduled to be in class.
_____ The student understands that Federal Work Study is a job and agrees to perform all work requested by the Supervisor. Student agrees to notify the Supervisor if unable to report to work for any reason.
_____ The Student understands that he/she will only be paid for hours worked. Any hours not worked during the semester awarded will be forfeited and cannot carry over to the next semester. Student agrees that if worked hours exceed awarded hours, he/she will not be paid for those hours by the Federal Work Study program.
_____ The Student understands that only ONE job, which is paid on an hourly wage basis by the university, is allowed on campus.
_____ The Student agrees to consult his/her supervisor with any complaints/problems that he/she may have and will not sever employment without consulting the Work Study Counselor in the Financial Aid Office. Student understands that he/she may not transfer to another work site without completing the transfer paperwork and may only transfer positions one time during the year.
_____ The Student agrees to complete and submit all forms in order to participate in the Federal Work Study program. Forms may include: Application, W-4 Tax withholding form, I-9 Employment Eligibility (with copies of required identification), Work Study Authorization form,Background check application, and the Direct Deposit form (Direct Deposit is recommended for all students).
_____ The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right to cancel this agreement, if for any reason funds are not available to support this program. In the event this occurs the student and supervisor will be notified as soon as possible prior to cancellation.
Please click below to download Federal Work Study Application packet:
For "New" FWS Students: Federal Work Study Employment Packet
For "Returning" FWS Students:Federal Work Study Employment Packet
Please print out a “FWS Student Employment Flow Chart” below. This flow chart will help guide you through the FWS employment process.
Click here: FWS Student Employment Flow Chart
These forms are in a PDF format that allow you to type your information into the form through Acrobat Reader. When you have completed all the forms, print and sign the forms, then return them to the Financial Aid Office immediately. Students cannot begin working without a completed FWS Employment Authorization Form.