Over the course of the summer, some exciting enhancements will be coming to the KSU e-mail environment. Information Technology will be migrating the e-mail environment to Microsoft Office 365. This change will have several benefits to both you and the University. In addition to an increased e-mail size of 25 GB, Office 365 will provide:
- Access from anywhere. Use a Web browser to access your mailbox from any computer that has an Internet connection.
- Access to your other e-mail accounts. Use this account to send and receive mail from your other e-mail accounts. You can also use other e-mail programs to connect to your mailbox.
- Storage and sharing of Files. Share and store 7 GB of file space using SkyDrive.
- Access your mail from your mobile phone. Use your mobile phone to access your e-mail, voice mail, contacts, and calendar information.
- Voice, Video and Chat with friends and family. Use your account to chat with friends, family, and colleagues, just as you would with any instant messaging service using Lync.
- Create and edit documents in a web browser. Use your web browser to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations using Office Web Apps. In addition, co-authoring allows 2 people to edit the same document or spreadsheet in real time.
- Mobile Lync and SkyDrive Client for Android, iPhone and windows mobile.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 combines the familiar Office desktop suite you know and trust with cloud-based versions of Microsoft’s next-generation communications and collaboration services: E-mail Online, File storage online, Lync and SharePoint Online (Scheduled for Fall release). For additional information, please refer to the Office 365 webpage.
What will I experience during the e-mail migration?
· Your e-mail address, password, calendaring and contacts will stay the same and your KSU e-mail account will remain active. We have planned for and anticipate no loss of e-mail service for anyone. Additionally, all existing messages and folders will be automatically moved from the current platform to Office 365.
· If you only use web access, once you have been migrated, going to https://webmail.kysu.edu will ask you to click on a hyperlink to go to a different web site. Please refer to please refer to item # 3 of the Getting Started With Office 365 Checklist.
· Lync will need to be installed to enable Instant Messaging and voice and video chat. The link to download Lync can be found on the Getting Started With Office 365 Checklist website, item #6. (Lync will not be available until after you are migrated)
· If you use Outlook 2007, 2010, or 2013, you will be notified that an administrator has made a change and outlook needs to be restarted. Once you restart Outlook, you will be using Office 365 (It will behave the exact same as it did prior to moving your mail). If you are asked for a username and password, use your current e-mail address and your password.
· Your mobile device will need to be reconfigured after you are migrated. When setting up your mail on your phone, please refer to item # 5 of the Getting Started With Office 365 Checklist.
What do I need to do prior to the e-mail migration to improve my experience?
· Remove any messages that are no longer needed – This includes those items in “Sent Items” and “Deleted Items” folders.
· Be prepared to have to reconfigure your mobile devices.
· Exchange Online will work with Office 2007, Office 2010 and Office 2013.
· Your new URL for Outlook Web Access will be https://outlook.com/kysu.edu
· Review the Getting Started With Office 365 Checklist and Office 365 webpages.
How do I learn how to use Office 365?
The Office 365 training webpage has been developed with information on how to learn more about Office 365.
I have a general question about Office 365:
A Frequently Asked Questions webpage is available and will be updated over the course of this project.
How Do I get Help?
You may contact the IT Help Desk online at: www.kysu.edu/helpdesk (on campus only), through e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org (24x7, response within 1 business day) or by calling: 502-597-7000 (8:00 am - 4:30 pm M-F).
When will my e-mail be migrated?
Student e-mail accounts are being migrated starting July 26, 2013 and will be completed by July 29, 2013, if not before.